Monday, 12 January 2015

Big White

Before winter break my dad had plans to go to Big White. On December 20, my family and I finally went to Big White for three days. Before the drive I was very excited to get going, but it was quite stressful packing. Once we were in the car it seemed like it was going to take forever to get there; the 40 minutes seemed like 2 hours! Finally we got there. We had booked a suite at one of the hotels, so before going snowboarding we had to check-in. At last we got all our stuff in the suite and got our boards. I felt like I was about to faint from the heat inside my snow gear. During the first couple rounds of snowboarding we fell a lot, but then we got the hang of it. By the time we got to our “temporary home” it was seven O’clock, then after dinner we stayed up till midnight watching TV and swam in the hot tub. The second day it was so hot that we were snowboarding without jackets, some people even snowboarded without snow pants! Also, today my two brothers came to board with us. My brother’s wife ski’s, but she was too tired from work to ski, so we went tubing instead. It was fun. Once they left at six we went to the sauna and then to bed. The last and third day was freezing cold compared to the other days, especially at the summit. As me and my dad were going up the lift we saw that one run goes straight down from the lift and another run goes down to the left of the lift. When we arrived there, it turned out that the run that goes straight down from the lift was closed. At that point I started panicking like crazy because I thought that we would have to go down a more advanced run, but my dad only started to laugh and said that we will take the easier run down. After we got to the bottom of the hill I found it really funny that I panicked for no reason at all. At that point I was relieved and enjoyed the rest of the day. At four thirty we left to go back home. I was not tired at all somehow. When we got home we ate dinner and fed the animals. The next day my muscles were really sore. I wonder when we will go up to Big White again. It was very fun!

Julia, gr.7 


  1. Hi Julia, Wow what an exciting adventure over the holidays! I can so relate to that moment of panic when you have to make a split second decision coming off the chair. Nice to have your father there to help you with that choice, especially the first time on the run. I bet you felt a sense of accomplishment after that day! Thanks for sharing! Happy boarding!

  2. It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I enjoyed all the detail you put into your story about your ski days. You tell a great story!